The Randleman House
The Randleman House 245 Pennsylvania, Carlisle, IA
The house at the top of the hill on Penn was built for the Randleman family in 1907.The builder was E. F. Keeney.
With 6 upstairs bedrooms, beautiful ornamental fretwork, a ballroom with a fireplace and modern gas lighting this home was considered one of the finest in Warren County.
With funds donated to us from the estates of Mary Adams and Ewing Lanning we purchased this home in 2007. The main floor has been completed and is used for community gatherings and cultural and educational events. We hold a breakfast on the 4th Sat. of every month. 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. $8 for an all-you-can-eat buffet. Reservations are not required, but larger groups should let us know ahead of time.
The second floor of the home contains display areas as well as our society's office. We plan to have a rotating display of artifacts and pictures from the local area as well as items which highlight the lives and ancestors of our benefactors. Mary Adam's grandfather, Robert Nicholson, was the first mayor of Carlisle. He was a prosperous businessman and owned a large mill on School Street near the railroad. Artifacts and household items from his life will be on display.
No renovations are being done on the third (attic) floor at this time but plans for it's future use are being discussed.
Many of our educational and fund-raising events are held at the property which includes almost ¾ acre of lawn.
The main floor of this elegant home is available to rent for small weddings, receptions anniversary parties, graduation parties. Smaller groups often rent this house for monthly meetings. For information, call Carol at 515-360-0981.
Now & then we hold a Victorian tea or luncheon. Menus vary. A Holiday tea is the highlight of the Christmas season! Mother's Day makes a nice occasion for a tea. Dates of future events will be posted in the upcoming events page.